Make this soup when you are not feeling well. It will help with cough, sniffles, stuffy head, chest congestion and sneezing. Sip broth throughout the day when you have a cold.
3 quart water
1 pound cracked chicken or beef marrow bones
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
1 onion quartered
6 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, grated
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaf
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaf
1/2 cup marshmellow root
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black peppercorns, cracked
1. Crack bones to expose the marrow. A nutcracker or mallet works well.
2. In large stock pot, add fresh water, lemon juice or vinegar, and bones. Bring to simmer.
3. Simmer on very low for 8-12 hours, covered. Check water level periodically, and add a cup of water to cover the bones if needed.
4. Add the herbs, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix and cover.
5. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and cool.