Things You'll Need
Hand And Body Lotion
Nail Polish Remover
Nail Strengthening Polish
1. Remove old nail polish thoroughly.
2. Soak hands in warm water for 10 or 15 minutes.
3. Dry Hands.
4. File nails in one direction only. Avoid using a seesaw motion.
5. Push back cuticles. Use a cuticle moisturizer if they do not push back easily after soaking.
6. Massage your hands. Use a moisturizing lotion. Use an exfoliating lotion if your skin is dry and/or roughened.
7. Apply a base coat. Allow it to dry.
8. Apply polish. Clean any stray marks with a cotton swab dipped in polish remover.
9. Add a second coat for deeper color.
10. Finish the manicure with a top coat of clear polish.
Read more: How to Give Yourself a Manicure | eHow.com
Hand Soak Recipes
All these recipes involve essential oils as they provide the nourishment needed to keep the nails strong.
Hot oil nail treatment
1/4 olive oil
1 capsule of Vitamin E
Heat the oil and let it cool down until it is warm to the touch
Add Vitamin E and gently rub the cuticles and nails
Use the excess oil to massage the hands.
Olive oil enhances the strength and flexibility, while Vitamin E oil nourishes the nails.
Nail Hardening Scrub
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of castor oil
1 teaspoon of honey
1/2 cup of shelled walnuts
Grind the walnuts until they are in a form of a coarse powder
Add to that olive oil, castor oil and honey so it resembles a thick paste
Rub the hands and nails
Rinse with warm water and pat dry
Use this recipe twice a week to see the results.
All these ingredients combined together do the following:
Castor oil greatly benefits the nails. When olive oil is added, the nails flexibility it enhanced. Walnuts provide friction that removes the dead skin cells and at the same time replenish the skins moisture.
Honey is a wonderful, natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent that inhibits the growth of bacteria. It also has a high concentration of potassium which aids the hand treatment.
One more simple recipe is to dip fingertips in warm milk. Milk is full of calcium and potassium, like honey, which fortifies the nails.